A Reaction Paper to the Article: Technology does not make us smarter
Technology is a colleague to everyone in whenever and
wherever he or she is. I strongly believe that it generally aids us in
everything we do. In fact, it makes life easier and more convenient. This is
the reason why after reading the two-part article entitled “Technology does not make us smarter” I really felt blue. I feel
sad not because I accept the views of the author that technology is the perpetrator
why students do not excel in academics as true, but because of the
misinterpretation that it gives. This misinterpretation about technology
misleads, deludes and deceives any reader to think that technology shall be
blamed for the all the glitches presented. I accept all the results of the
researches, studies and surveys conducted and presented in the article.
However, let me emphasize that I accept this as presentation of evidences
against the users not to the technology. Technology gears up education but
sadly users make themselves illiterate. The users’ demeanor toward technology
usage put significant things, education and even themselves at risk. This has
been proven true by the article itself.
Some people are blessed to explore the true potential of
technology in all aspects of their lives, even in teaching and learning
process. On the other hand, many are becoming abusive with the benefits that it
gives. I believe that technology has a number of pros and cons effects but at
the end of the day the users are the ones who have the power to use this device
conscientiously.
I find some ironic situations and points, which need to
be responded to and clarified, in the article.
First, most of the professionals who shared about the
cons of technology in the field of education were tech-savvy people or those
professionals whose degrees were in computer-related studies. This
is a bit tongue-in-cheek because why do computer science degree holders deny
the idea that technology can aid students in learning? Seemingly, these people are not in
favor of technology as a good means of educating the children.
Second, two of the
professionals used by the author stated that they believed in the idea that “great teachers make a difference in teaching-learning
but not in favor of using technology”. How strange, isn’t it? I believe,
when teachers use technology as a tool in classroom discussion, he or she is
creating a notion of “difference in the teaching-learning process”. Initially,
I thought that I might be at the wrong idea of “difference in teaching-learning”
so, I asked myself: What is a good example, basis, and definition of “making a difference?”
I have faith in the idea that the teachers who use technology in a certain
place or school, which has been deprived of modernity, will be embraced and
accepted by all because those teachers create the sense of “difference” which
is the sense of not being “classic”.
Finally, according to the
studies, students are failing due to penetrating usage of computers as for
their personal use: social media, searching for anything that is not related to
academics, and even used as an avenue to watch indecent films. Based on these,
what I believe is that the problem does not only lie on the technology itself,
but merely to the users. We cannot blame these “glitches” to the technology
alone. Users’ irresponsibility put things at risks. Technology gives a very promising and
convenient avenue to all people. With just click of the mouse a certain person
could see a new world and could meet new group of friends.
Usually when a student,
whose original focus is in “finishing
project, getting lessons, and finishing assignments”, gets the chance to be
out of control in computer, it would lead him to failure. As a teacher, I
cannot blame this fault to the advent of modernity or technology. As what I
have said, technology is just a tool. The main problem really lies to the user
who is in a point or another becomes imprudent, irresponsible and dishonest.
I always believe that computers or technology in general is not a replacement for the teacher in a classroom. This computer or technology is and will always be just a tool to aid, support and provide an easy avenue for the transferring and acquiring of knowledge.
I always believe that computers or technology in general is not a replacement for the teacher in a classroom. This computer or technology is and will always be just a tool to aid, support and provide an easy avenue for the transferring and acquiring of knowledge.
Furthermore, studying, while equipped with technology tools, allows students to
be such intellectual people. The
technology that acts as a tool helps the students to acquire and to refine
their analysis and problem-solving skills as they work individually and in
teams to find, process, and synthesize information they have found online or
discovered in the World Wide Web.
Technology
also improves the way teachers teach, give effective ways to reach different
types of learners and assess student understanding through manifold means. When
technology is effectively integrated into subject areas, teaching and learning
process becomes meaningful, fun and significant.


0 comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to share your thoughts with me :)